Friday, June 29, 2012

Classic Fantasy: The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz #1
Publisher: Del Rey
Date: 1900 (1979)
Format: paperback
Source: BookMooch
Read: as part of the pre-college TBR cleanout/for A Victorian Celebration
Pages: 219
Reading time: two days

From GoodReads: Join the wonderful world of Oz. Here is the original book that started the wonderful series and inspired the famous movie, in which Dorothy Gale is whisked from Kansas to the magical land of Oz where--with a Scarecrow, a Tin Woodman, and a Cowardly Lion--she sets off to find the illusive Wizard.

My review: The original Oz series was My Thing when I was in fifth grade. The town had built a new intermediate school, which came complete with its own brand-new library. It happened to contain beautiful hardback reproductions of the original Oz books - except, for some reason, the first in the series. Thus it is eight years later and I am just now getting around to reading the actual Wonderful Wizard of Oz...

Coming back years later, the series seems to have lost little of its charm for me. The only thing I didn't much enjoy was already knowing, from watching the film, a lot of what happens. The story is pretty simplistic, but that's part of the appeal of children's fantasy. The tale is entertaining for all ages and at times humorous. It's a remarkably quick read for an older book - in my 5th-grade heyday I could read an Oz book in a day - but it's interesting and fun. It's easy to see why this has remained a classic!


No comments:

Post a Comment