Sunday, April 22, 2012

In My Mailbox #24


For review:
The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich (publisher)
I keep getting review copies in anticipation of summer break! This one looks like an interesting blend of historical Venice and the issues faced by Jews over their religion.

Won:
The Discovery of Jeanne Baret by Glynis Ridley (thanks, Faith Justice from Historian's Notebook!)
I don't often read nonfiction, but Baret's story just looked so interesting.
Purity by Jackson Pearce (thanks, Wandering Librarians!)
I have yet to read any of Pearce's books, though they look fantastic. What caught my eye on this one was the religious aspect.  

Purchased:
Okay, this haul bears explanation. I went to tour East Carolina for their Open House over the weekend, and there were some really great book sales nearby. I spent under $50 for all of these books together, and they're all ones that are often hard to find in stores for good prices. I think I'm about the only person who goes on a college tour and comes back with 22 books and not much of a better idea about where she's going to college...
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
I loved Anuradha Roy's novel An Atlas of Impossible Longing, and I've heard Arundhati Roy's books are even better...
Kindred by Octavia Butler
I've read Butler's Parable of the Sower and would like to try some of her other novels.
Island Lives: Historical Archaeologies of the Caribbean by Paul Farnsworth
Well, I am looking at going into anthropology/archaeology...
The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox
18th century satire! 
The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
The original frame tale - Chaucer's inspiration.
The Children of Men by P.D. James
It's rare to find literary-ish sci-fi in antique stores, so I scooped up this one.
A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt
It's about Thomas More, who's connected to utopianism...
Ante-Bellum by George Fitzhugh and Hinton Rowan Helper
A collection of three 1850s Southern sociological books on slavery. I'd never heard of any of them and thought the anthology looked fascinating.
Arthur Mervyn by Charles Brockden Brown
18th century novel, American literature, and gothic. Excellent combination.
Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
It has Arcadia in the title, which is related to utopianism...the play also has to do with Lord Byron and Romanticism.
The Lais of Marie de France by, well, Marie de France
Medieval Arthurian poetry.
I Sing the Body Electric! by Ray Bradbury
I love Bradbury's books, but it's been a while since I've read one.
A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov
Mid-19th century Russian Romantic novel.
Tigers and Traitors (Steam House #2) by Jules Verne
I'd never heard of this sci-fi book by Verne before! Unfortunately, it's only the second half of the novel.
Two Old Women by Velma Wallis
I'd heard of Wallis' Native American mythology-inspired novels a few years ago and have been wanting them ever since.
Black Elk Speaks by John Neihardt
1930s Native American autobiographical writing.
The Soul of the Indian by Charles Eastman
Early 20th century anthropological writing on Native Americans by a Native American.
Travelers and Travel Liars, 1660-1800 by Percy G. Adams
I am familiar with much of what Dover publishes...but not this.
The Lunatic Lover: Plays by French Women of the 17th and 18th Centuries ed. by Perry Gethner
There are really some fascinating anthologies out there!
The Magazine Novels of Pauline Hopkins by, guess who, Pauline Hopkins
I've read Of One Blood, which is included in this collection. It's odd.
Time Before History: The Archaeology of North Carolina by H. Trawick Ward
At this point, I think I now have most of the books on North Carolina archaeology (and have read none of them). But I only have five, so there's really not a great deal.
America B.C.: Ancient Settlers in the New World by Barry Fell
Fascinating pseudoarchaeology.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Purity! Awesome IMM!=D

    Drop by my IMM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just joined Southern Book Bloggers, and I'm trying to connect with the other people on the site. I'm following your blog now! Here's mine if you want to check it out: www.thisxgirlxreads.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, and welcome to the Southern Book Bloggers group!

      Delete