Monday, March 19, 2012

In My Mailbox #25

My parents are going to kill me for getting more books. We're trying to clean out the house, but I need a new bookshelf and keep getting new books! Though, in my defense, my mom picked out and brought me all the books from my grandparents.

Purchased:
The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist
Yay, European sci-fi!!!
On Viney's Mountain by Joan Donaldson
Squee! YA utopian historical fiction! I only know of two of these (the other being Brides of Eden by Linda Crew)...does anyone know of any other novels that take place in utopian communities?
The Yellow Wave by Kenneth Mackay
Racist "invasion literature" of the late 19th century - I am quite excited to FINALLY have one of the Wesleyan Early Classics of Science Fiction novels! (Besides the racist part about China invading Australia.)

Won, many thanks to Bloody Bookaholic:
Legend by Marie Lu
Squee!!! (Again.) I'm always looking for more YA dystopias...
Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors
This was actually one of the first books I ran across when I began blogging. I love retellings of myths and fairytales!
Scones and Sensibility by Lindsay Eland
I also like retellings of classic literature.
The Enemy (Enemy #1) by Charlie Higson  
Another post-apocalyptic zombie novel.
Day of the Predator (Time Riders #2) by Alex Scarrow
"Travel to the prehistoric past. Protect the future. Save the world." - sounds interesting
Going Underground by Susan Vaught
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
Notes from the Blender by Trish Cook and Brendan Halpin
Love Drugged by James Klise
The Debutante by Kathleen Tessaro
Vampires: The Occult Truth by Konstantinos
This one's actually nonfiction.
Aberrations by Penelope Przekop
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Behind Every Illusion (GreenEarth #1) by Christina Harner
Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime by Mizuki Nomura        

These all came from my grandparents, who are downsizing again:
This Side of Innocence by Taylor Caldwell
Christy by Catherine Marshall
I've read this before, but I'm glad to have my own copy.
Man's Religions by John B. Noss
Myths and Motifs in Literature by David J. Burrows
American Triptych by Pearl S. Buck
Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga #5) by C.S. Forester
The River Road by Francis Parkinson Keyes
Lydia Bailey by Kenneth Roberts
Norton Library History of England, three volumes
The Epic of Hades by Lewis Morgan
I had never heard of this author before! But the book is from 1886, which makes me wonder where my grandmother got it from. None of her other books are that old.
Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Finally, an English edition of this! For some reason, my family only has a copy in German. Ironically, this new one is actually a German textbook for learning English.
Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts


 What did you get in your mailbox this week?

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is way too many books! Lol. Yeah. I got the same from my mom too=D Great haul, btw:)

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, these are a lot of awesome books! I read Legend a few weeks ago and I have to say it's really, really good. Hope you're going to enjoy it. :)

    My IMM for this week can be found over here. Feel free to check it out if you want to.

    Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Legend so bad! I hope you enjoy everything. Here's my IMM!

    http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2012/03/in-my-mailbox-26.html

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete