Tuesday, November 1, 2011

German Lit Month: Kick-Off


Today's the first day of German Lit Month, hosted by Lizzy's Literary Life and Beauty is a Sleeping Cat! I have a fairly modest stack of translated books to read during November, but I'm looking forward to seeing what German literature has to offer. Though I've read some Goethe, all of these authors are new to me.

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
Lotte in Weimar by Thomas Mann
The Threepenny Opera by Bertolt Brecht
Parzival by Wolfram von Eschenbach
Grimms' Fary Tales by the Grimm Brothers

And After Midnight by Irmgard Keun, which I won from Beauty is a Sleeping Cat, should be arriving soon.

I'm currently reading Lotte in Weimar. Based on the fact that it's taken me two weeks to get halfway through it, I doubt I'll get to/make it through The Magic Mountain by the end of the month. Still, that leaves five books for four weeks of reading.


What are you reading for German lit month?

2 comments:

  1. I like. I never read Lotte in Weimar, I hope you liked it althought it's not a quick read.
    I school they taught as that the Brothers Grimm had the nicest German that exists. They have a few wonderful tales.
    The one I like best of your choices is The Threepenny Opera. I loved it.
    And of course I hope you will enjoy After Midnight. I think it is very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brecht great choice, I discovered him via The Doors & best of luck with The Magic Mountain.

    ReplyDelete