Sunday, June 24, 2012

In My Mailbox #29

Another two-week edition. Let me go ahead and warn you that next week is moving week, and I'm not sure about how much time I'll have to read or what access to the Internet is going to be like for the next two weeks or so.

For review:
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters (publisher)
Yay, a pre-apocalyptic novel!
The Bay of Foxes by Sheila Kohler (publisher)
Unsolicited. Not my cup of tea, but it turned out to be a good read. See my review here.
Holding on to Zoe by George Ella Lyon (publisher's Twitter)
Looks interesting, especially the psychology implied by the blurb.

Won:
Spirited by Nancy Holder (thanks, Pearls of Great Worth!)
I love the Once Upon a Time series! And this one is historical fiction...it will be interesting to see how the author goes about a "Beauty and the Beast" retelling with the "Beast" as a Mohican Indian.
The Letter Q: Queer Writers' Notes to Their Younger Selves by various authors (thanks, I Read Banned Books!)
For a friend.
Crewel swag (thanks, Gennifer!)
The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda and The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa (thanks, Alice Marvels!)
Paranormal dystopias? I'm interested.
Slated by Teri Terry (thanks, Misty at The Book Rat!)
And another dystopia, because I love them so much.


Purchased:
Funny story. Due to the upcoming move, I'm on a parent-mandated book buying ban. Then my mom and I walked into an antique store where paperbacks were $2. End of book buying ban. After arguing with my mom and convincing her to let me buy a couple of books, she bought one, too. Ha. And when we went to other antique stores on vacation, I got two more books (and she got another, too). We're incorrigible.
Midnight Pearls by Debbie Viguie
After a year without reading any of the Once Upon a Time series, I acquired two in one week. Go figure.
The Return of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Beasts of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs
I was really happy to find the Tarzan books! There's something like 24 in the series, and I've only read the first one. The couple of times I've run across others in stores, they've been between $5 and $10 for a paperback. Not happening. But for $2, I'm thrilled.
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
The critically-acclaimed prequel to Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.
The Island of Eternal Love by Daina Chaviano
Magical realism! 

No comments:

Post a Comment