Sunday, June 10, 2012

In My Mailbox #28

Won:
Jane Austen's Cults and Cultures by Claudia L. Johnson (thanks, Austenprose!)
The Last Romanov by Dora Levy Mossanen (thanks, Goldberg McDuffie!)
The Lost Prince by Selden Edwards (thanks, Dutton!)

Purchased:
My church just had a fundraising book sale. The selection wasn't all that great, but I found several interesting books to purchase...
The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama
The beautiful cover attracted me as much as anything else! Also, it looks like a humorous Anglo-Indian novel, and I've enjoyed other books by Indian novelists that I've read.
Penhallow by Georgette Heyer
I've never read anything by Heyer before, but I've heard her books are good, and these two were brand-new (still shrinkwrapped, even) for only $1 each.
Detection Unlimited by Georgette Heyer
White Jenna (Great Alta Saga #2) by Jane Yolen
I've read several of Yolen's other novels and enjoyed them, so I thought I'd try these two, too.
The Magic Three of Solatia by Jane Yolen
Wish Riders by Patrick Jennings
The back cover referenced fairytale retellings...
Dream Angus (Canongate Myths) by Alexander McCall Smith
I didn't realize when I picked this up that it was part of the Canongate series!! I've been after selected books from the series, which interests me because of its literary, international retellings of folklore and mythology.
Coventry by Helen Humphreys
Interesting-looking WWII historical novel that I've seen around the blogosphere.
The Long Silence of Mario Salviati by Etienne van Heerden
This just looked like an interesting read, and I don't have very many books by African authors.


And then I went back to what was left of the sale before church this morning and picked up a couple books that had previously escaped my notice or that came in later...
Star Ka'at World (Star Ka'at #2) by Andre Norton
Cheesy-looking 1970s children's sci-fi.
Lavender-Green Magic by Andre Norton
I haven't yet read anything by Norton and, as a sci-fi fan, thought it was about time to at least pick up some of her books.
Leaving Cold Sassy by Olive Ann Burns
I was soooo happy to find this! Of all the books I purchased, this was the only one that I got because it'd been on my wishlist for years, not just because it looked interesting or I'd read a lot of other books by the author. Cold Sassy Tree was one of my favorite reads from either 6th or 7th grade (is it normal for a middle schooler to read that book?), and I was very excited when I learned there was a sequel!
A Hole in Texas by Herman Wouk
21st-century satire by an author I've heard about.


Not all the books this week; since my family's moving in July, I'm pretty much packing them as they come rather than keeping them out for pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment