Sunday, August 5, 2012

In My Mailbox #33

I'm going to be long-winded today. I swear, I am not normally this profligate a book buyer and acquirer. All but one of the books purchased this week are for my freshman college classes this semester (!!!), while I have a huge haul of books from my grandparents. They recently downsized, and my mom and I finally had the opportunity to go through the books they were getting rid of. While I'm not a fan of all the Christian historical romance, Billy Graham, uber-conservative politics, and old textbooks they had, there were also a ton of books that looked interesting...

By the way, the classes in which I'm enrolled point me towards three different majors: anthropology, history, and English (Literary and Cultural Studies track). Anthropology and history fit my future career goal in museum studies, but I don't want to drop literature! Hopefully, I'll be able to just triple-major. *fingers crossed*

Purchased:
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
Guess which book isn't for class? I love post-apocalyptic novels! This one's been on my wishlist for quite some time...
Greek Drama ed. by Moses Hadas
For Classical Mythology.
Classical Mythology by Mark P.O. Morford, Robert J. Lenardon, and Michael Sham
Um, also for Classical Mythology.
The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt by Ian Shaw
For Ancient Near Eastern Civilizations.
African Perspectives on Colonialism by A. Adu Boahen
For Survey of African Civilization (as are the next two books).
Ibn Battuta in Black Africa by Said Hamdun and Noel King
The Two Princes of Calabar by Randy J. Sparks
In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall
For General Anthropology.
The Sambia by Gilbert H. Herdt
A New Guinea ethnography for General Anthropology.
The Classic Fairy Tales ed. by Maria Tatar
For Intro to Critical Reading and Writing - this book is making me very intrigued about what's in store from the class!


From the grandparents:
And God Came In by Lyle W. Dorsett
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
Dreamers (Legacies of the Ancient River #1) by Angela Elwell Hunt
The Visitation by Frank Peretti
The Two of Us by Claude Perri
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier
The Cross and the Eagle by Julius Berstl
Here Is Your War by Ernie Pyle
David the King by Gladys Schmitt
Beyond Desire by Pierre La Mure
Love is Eternal by Irving Stone
I'm Eve by Chris Costner Sizemore and Elen Sain Pittillo
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Singing Waters by Ann Bridge
1876 (Narratives of Empire) by Gore Vidal
And Set Aglow a Sacred Flame by Margaret Tufts Neal
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
So Well Remembered by James Hilton
Pavilion of Women by Pearl S. Buck
A Place to Come To by Robert Penn Warren
Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman
Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk
The Walls of Jericho by Paul I. Wellman
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCollough
Crowned Heads by Thomas Tryon
...and about half a dozen or so travel books, covering everything from ancient Greek ruins to the castles of Scotland (not pictured)


And thanks to We Be Reading and Out of Print Clothing, I got this awesome Brave New World t-shirt:

AND I got my laptop for college! Whew. Considering I barely stepped out of the house all week, I now have a lot more stuff...According to LibraryThing, I've just passed 1700 books that I own - I need more shelves!

No comments:

Post a Comment