Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Classic Fantasy: The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz #7
Publisher: Watermill
Date: 1913 (1989)
Format: paperback
Source: purchased used
Read: to clean out my TBR pile
Pages: 234
Reading time: three days

From GoodReads: Ojo and Unk Nunkie visit a magician, who uses the Powder of Life to bring a Patchwork Girl to life. But then a terrible accident turns Unk Nunkie into a statue! Ojo must go on a quest to gather the strange ingredients needed to restore his uncle. Joined by Scraps the Patchwork Girl, Bungle the glass cat, and a host of other creatures, Ojo sets off on his travels around Oz.

My review: I absolutely adored the Oz books in fifth grade, though this is one of the few of Baum's original series that I don't think I read back then. I was a bit disappointed because this didn't seem quite as enchanting and wonderful as I remember the series being. The plot even seemed a tad tedious at times, though this could just be because I was reading this during the read-a-thon and trying to go too fast. At other times, though, Baum's humor came through; I think there were even a few points where I caught a bit of satire...I don't recall any of the other Oz books containing as much enjoyable word play, which reminded me a good deal of Through the Looking Glass. Overall, this was still a fun read, just not as magical as I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment