Saturday, March 30, 2013

Add It to the List! 3

One of my favorite things to do while procrastinating on homework is browse through books online. Generally, this results in a large number of books being added to my already-enormous wishlist on GoodReads (2827 and counting). Since such procrastination reduces my reading time left after finally finishing homework, I might as well use it to come up with other blog content.



The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson (Random House, Mar. 2014)
The sequel to Strands of Bronze and Gold, this time a Civil War-era retelling of the "Ballad of Tam Lin."

If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan (Algonquin Young Readers, 8/20/13)
On lesbian and transgender issues in contemporary Iran.

Homeward Bound: The New Cult of Domesticity by Emily Matchar (Simon & Schuster, 5/7/13)
I think this goes along well with my English class on literary and cultural theory. Also, I can definitely see myself as becoming one of the "smart, high-achieving young women [who] are honing their traditional homemaking skills."



Status: Emo by Eslam Mosbah (American Univ. in Cairo Press, 4/15/13)
Translated contemporary novel from Egypt.


Unexplained Fevers by Jeannine Hall Gailey (New Binary Press, 3/30/13)
Contemporary retellings of fairy tales in verse.

Wool by Hugh Howey (Simon & Schuster, 3/23/13)
Yes, I am a snob and didn't add this to my wishlist until I discovered it was going to be published by a major publisher instead of just CreateSpace or whatever. I just won a copy off GoodReads, so this will hopefully get marked off the wishlist quite soon.



Self-Reference Engine by Toh Enjoe (VIZ Media/Haikasoru, 3/19/13)
Because most of Haikasoru's translations of Japanese speculative fiction have made it onto my wishlist, even if I've never actually read any of them.

Keowee Valley by Katherine Scott Crawford (Bell Bridge Books, Sep. 2012)
Set in 1768 in the Carolina/Appalachian backcountry, involving the Cherokee and the Shawnee.

News from Gardenia by Robert Llewellyn (Unbound, Mar. 2012)
sci-fi novel set in a futuristic (possibly utopian) Britain



Specimen Days by Michael Cunningham (2005)
speculative fiction

Our Arcadia by Robin Lippincott (Viking, 2001)
Historical fiction set in the 1920s, possibly related to a bohemian intentional community. See my comments below on Terminal Velocity.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (2000)
Even though I'm not into horror, I was going to participate in a reading group for this until schedule conflicts arose. Given how many goods things I've heard of it from members of said group, I went ahead and added it to the wishlist.



Terminal Velocity by Blanche McCrary Boyd (1997)
Memoir of the author's life in a "radical lesbian commune." I'm addicted to all things remotely related to intentional communities and utopianism.

The Great Meadow by Elizabeth Madox Roberts (1930)
Historical romance set in backcountry Kentucky; I'm greatly interested in the early American frontier around the Appalachian area.
Note: Recent upcoming editions include J.S. Sanders and Co. (1992) and Hesperus Press (June 2013).

The Enchanted Wanderer and Other Stories by Nikolai Leskov (late 19th cent.)
Russian short stories, possibly involving satire and myth.
Note: Recent/upcoming editions include Knopf (Mar. 2013) and Vintage (Apr. 2013).

No comments:

Post a Comment